Patreides Creative Commons License 2013.10.19 0 0 159

http://www.takeitaway.org.uk/news-and-networks/noise-news/polly-scattergood-interview/

A former student of the famous Brit School, Polly is signed to Mute Records, and released her debut eponymous album in March 2009. Polly will be touring to promote "Arrows" over the next year. We were lucky enough to catchup with her to talk to her about her new album and her muscial beginnings.

When did you start playing music?

I have been playing music as long as I can remember. I was brought up in a house where there was a piano always at hand, so I was really lucky in that respect. I started writing songs when I was around 12/13. I started writing on the guitar actually, and as soon as I picked it up I became completely addicted. It was such a great outlet as a teenager just to be able to write these kind of songs. I saved up for ages, and bought myself a little Fender Stratocaster which took me so long to get, and then had to save up again for the amplifier. So yes, that was my first proper instrument and now I write a lot on the guitar, piano and also on the laptop.

When you were at school, learning to play and write music, did you ever take part in the schools orchestra or music groups?

Not really (laughs). I really struggled, if I’m honest, to read music, so I was never invited to join the orchestra because I couldn’t read music. I had the 15 minutes guitar lessons provided by the state a week, but it didn’t really give me enough time to learn and I think maybe, because I was writing my own stuff, maybe I didn’t put enough time into learning to read and write music. I have always worked by ear.

So onto your new album, “Arrows”. I think it sounds very different to your debut back in 2009. How has your sound developed since then?

I am not sure if it’s a huge departure from the first album, for me it’s a step onwards. I keep referring to this album as a very transient album. It started with, “I’ve got a heart” which I wrote in my old little studio attic flat and I suddenly realised that I couldn’t write anymore, and wanted to get out and go on a bit of a journey with this album because I wanted it to sound a bit different. The album kind of took me on a journey, I wanted it to be a little bit less introspective and a bit more about the music I suppose, so I focused on building these instrumentals and really wanted for the songs to be very catchy.

What advice would you give to those musicians who struggle with writers block?

I’m a big believer in a change of scenery to be honest. I remember the first time I had a block and it was when I was a teenager, when I was not feeling good about things in general and just had this massive block. I remember, somebody told me to just leave and go somewhere completely different, don’t worry about it and get a change of scenery because song writing is writing about your feelings and experiences, so if you’re stuck and nothing is coming out, I believe what I need to do is feed myself with those feelings and energy. As an example, I live in London so if I’m struggling to write, I go to galleries and museums. I love going to the Hayward’s gallery because they have really interactive exhibitions. For me, even if a word or a colour pops out, I always feel like I come away from it with an idea in my head.

When releasing your first album, was it difficult to get your album listened to? What advice can you give to people trying to get their music heard?

To be honest, getting yourself heard is one of the hardest things. For me, I was just very, very driven and I think if you want to be a musician, you have to want it and give everything to it. I didn’t really want to do anything other than be a musician. Initially, when I was getting my music out there, and how I met people in the industry, was to write letters and phone all the studios and producers in the directory provided by my music school. I went through starting from A-C and the first person who gave me a meeting was Eddie Levy from Chelsea Music Publishing. I’ll always remember his name.

Thanks for your time today. Finally, what are your thoughts on the Take it away scheme?

It’s about giving everyone a fair chance at having an education. I think the idea of giving people access to instruments is key as the whole process starts with a guitar or a piano, just teaching yourself, having a friend teach you or taking some lessons. I think it’s a great scheme.