iszilard Creative Commons License 2013.03.09 0 0 960

Ha már más is idézett, akkor én is:

Mr Ares:
Perhaps it's because we're more critical? Perhaps it's because we
have paid more attention to some of the problems the book has -
things which aren't hugely noticeable in a lot of cases (such as
timeline issues), but because we're in contact with other people with which to discuss, and many of us look into these books in great depth, we see a great many flaws. There's so much there that most people won't pick up everything, good or bad, but as we discuss with others we get a more full picture of what was there and what wasn't.

An individual isn't necessarily going to pick up on everything, maybe for a lot of people things like Mat's interactions with Min don't ring alarm bells because it's been so long since they read the books they just accept things. Then someone else picks up on the problem and shares it, so someone who at first didn't see a problem now does - and it is a problem, even if it is one that won't necessarily cripple your enjoyment of the book. This can go both ways - minor world building details, answers to questions, solutions to problems, these things can be shared as well, and enhance the enjoyment of the books.

I don't think we're asking too much, though we are asking a
lot. We're asking for something tightly written and well thought
through. For the characters to act and sound as themselves, and for what they do to make sense in that context. AMoL could have been so much more than it ended up being. That's the biggest disappointment - it's not that we set our sights too high to ever be met, but we set them very high all the same and they weren't reached. Had we lowered our expectations we would have been less disappointed, but I think we would be selling BS, Team Jordan and the series short, not to mention RJ's memory. I don't see why we should be satisfied with mediocrity, not if we love this series. Frankly, I would have been more satisfied with this book if I cared less about the series.

Terez:
Brandon is a fan. He's not the original author of the books. So yes, what he writes is essentially fan fiction when he's filling in gaps in RJ's outline; there's no way to argue around that. Brandon's fan ideas have worked their way into the book, and there's nothing inherently better about his ideas than other fans' ideas, and there is also nothing inherently better about one person's ideas than a melding of several people's ideas. In fact, I'd argue it's the opposite on both points. And Brandon's ideas have already been influenced by fan ideas; you can't avoid that either. There's no telling whether Jason's arguments to Brandon were actually representative of RJ's vision, but I don't see any reason why anyone would assume otherwise. Brandon was obviously convinced by those arguments. The flaw here is that Jason mentioned it at all.

Luckers:
The continuity problems are what I find unforgivable.  I truly
believe that anyone in the position Brandon and Team Jordan is in, to give this series it's due, should have used several knowledgeable people to go over the newly written books with a fine-toothed comb.  

If there are continuity inconsistencies or contradictions found, they should be made right, no matter that it might make it necessary that sections (perhaps even large sections) have to be rewritten, in then name of keeping the integrity of the WoT intact.  The series is extremely complex, perhaps too complex for even Team Jordan to find everything that doesn't add up.  But the impression I get (and I might have misunderstood something along the way) is that while Beta readers do serve this function in some small way, their feedback is actually used not by the author, but only by the rest of Team Jordan to make a few small changes in an attempt to smooth things out a bit.

For instance, Brandon has stated that things in the books were
changed afterward without his knowledge.  Also, Brandon was done with writing AMoL before any other readers saw it at all:  they give their feedback, and then... what?  It seems the function of the Beta readers is overemphasized when it's convenient, i.e. 'none of them caught this or that', but I don't think they should have any kind of blame shifted to them for mistakes making it through to the published books either if their feedback isn't taken to be as important to the process as some of us might have thought. 

I'm not saying to blame Brandon in this either, though he wrote the mistakes in the first place.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Perhaps the process they used itself is to blame.