zsofia81 Creative Commons License 2013.01.29 0 0 954

Those 50 people happen to be the ones that crank out 95% of the theories using evidence and examples to back up their thoughts.   If you want to understand where I'm coming from then go to the brandons work thread and read some of my posts there along with others that add to my positions.  It all comes down to the individual reader and what they enjoyed with the series.  

As I've said before, if you can legitimately read Brandons books and have no issue with them whatsoever then I actually envy you.  I wish I could do the same.  I just can't because the world of WoT that I've read and enjoyed feels like its been shattered by someone who could have kept it intact if he really had put the effort into doing so.  I can't fault BS for not writing as well as RJ, but I can fault him for getting blood and bloody ashes wrong.  How many times has that saying appeared throughout the series?  Can you really sit back and think that the guy did a fantastic job making sure that his material fits in the world of WoT when he messes up something like that?  

Everyone says that BS had such an impossible task that we should cut him some slack.  Was it really that impossible for him to open up a couple of the old books and reference his dialogue against some of RJ's source material?  Was it really that impossible for him to even one time look back and make sure that blood and bloody ashes was the same as RJ wrote it 100's of times previously?   And keep in mind, this is from a guy who is supposed to be ONE OF US.  He was a self proclaimed super fan of the series (and this is a major reason he is judged so harshly by some; if he had been more of an outsider then we would be more forgiving IMO).  

Now let's take it into perspective here.  Blood and bloody ashes is a single oversight and by itself is really not a big deal.  I agree with that 100%.  But when we turn to the next page we find another small mistake...and then another one...and then another one.  After a couple we begin noticing even mistakes that we wouldn't have picked up on previously.  That's how it starts and that's how the world of WoT is shattered for the readers.  And this is really what is unforgivable.  Out of EVERYTHING in this admittedly impossible task that Brandon had in finishing this series, these little nitpicks are the small things that he should have gotten right and had no excuse to get wrong.

So how does this turn into gigantic threads discussing quality with some people very upset over what is perceived as a lack of quality?  It's really simple actually.  When Brandon messed up so many of the freebies - details that were already written by RJ and only required opening one of the original books to verify - how can we sit back and say that he tried his best to get the voice of Mat correct?  When Brandon simply couldn't spend the time to even reference RJ's original books, how much time do you think he spent on the hard stuff that we all agree sounds a bit off?   I've been around long enough to recognize a lack of real effort, and I also can recognize when someone just doesn't have the capabilities to accomplish something.  

I can forgive Brandon for not having the literary talents that RJ had, but it's the lack of effort that really bothers me.  Did the guy give 100% effort into this project?  Yes, I think he did.  I think he worked very hard.  But there is a massive difference between 100% and 110%, and this project deserved 110% from him yet clearly did not get that extra bit of effort.  RJ gave 110% and Harriet entrusted Brandon to give his all towards finishing the guys professional legacy.   That's the crux of why I get upset and why I don't really have any mercy on the guy anymore after two books without improvement.