Patreides Creative Commons License 2011.05.02 0 0 117

"Review: Nerina Pallot showcases ‘Year Of The Wolf’ album in London

April 21st, 2011 by Silvan  

WAPS was lucky enough to attend last night’s Nerina Pallot showcase at London’s Bloomsbury Theatre, where we were joined by our roving reporter Mark B.

Mark kindly jotted down his thoughts aftewards, so for all the goss on Nerina and her first major ‘Year Of The Wolf’ show, read on…

No splash-zones or pyrotechnics were required last night to guild the pure brilliance of Nerina Pallot. Not only did we get a complete ‘Year of the Wolf‘ album showcase but the full-on Lady Chatterley experience.

There was a distinct waft of mothballs with the audience being a bit “Radio 2”, but there was clear adoration for her talent, humour and an interaction with a crowd that you don’t get from many performers (after gig opener and biggest hit “Everybody’s Gone to War” she declares “That’s the obvious done with – now you can piss off”).

The new tracks are what you would expect of Nerina – clever, witty and even saucy lyrics set to both infectious pop beats (“Turn Me on Again”/”Put Your Hands Up”) or haunting melodies (“History Boys”). There is a reason why the likes of Kylie Minogue (Aphrodite/Better than Today) rake through her back catalogue or call on her writing abilities. She is a self confessed lover of pop, hates pretention and naively wonders why she has lasted in the industry for 4 albums?

She can easily compete with the likes of Adele for soaring vocals or heartfelt sentiment (“Will You Still Love Me”) and you get the impression that after a glass of wine (or five) it would be hard to keep her off the dance floor.

From ‘Year of the Wolf’, Nerina performed:
• Put Your Hands Up
• Turn Me On Again
• All Bets Are Off
• If I Lost You Now
• Butterfly
• This Will Be Our Year
• I Think
• Will You Still Love Me
• I Do Not Want What I Do Not Have
• Grace
• History Boys

And the following crowd pleasers all made an appearance:

• Everybody’s Gone To War
• Butterfly
• Idaho
• Real Late Starter
• Geek Love
• It Starts
• Sofia

Be sure to check out Nerina’s new single ‘Put Your Hands Up‘ (out 23rd May 2011), followed by the album ‘Year of the Wolf’ on 30th May 2011."

http://www.wearepopslags.com/review-nerina-pallot-showcases-year-of-the-wolf-album-in-london/